Data Scientist - Insights
Full-time Udemy California - CA
With a mission to improve lives through learning, Udemy is the world’s largest online learning destination that helps students, businesses, and governments gain the skills they need to compete in today’s economy. Millions of students are mastering new skills from 65,000 instructors teaching over 183,000 online courses in topics from programming and data science to leadership and team building. For companies, Udemy Business offers an employee training and development platform with subscription access to more than 11,000 courses in our Udemy Business catalog, learning analytics, as well as the ability to host and distribute their own content. Udemy Business is designed to upskill workers and prepare them for the jobs of tomorrow.
Udemy maintains hubs in the San Francisco Bay Area, Denver, Austin, Boston, Melbourne, Sao Paulo, Dublin, New Delhi, Ankara, Istanbul and Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania. Udemy investors include Insight Partners, Prosus (Naspers Ventures), Norwest Venture Partners, and Stripes.
At Udemy, we value diversity and inclusion and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
About The Role:
We are looking for data scientists to join our newly formed Executive Insights team. Data scientists in this group draw on a combination of quantitative methods and business intuition to find actionable insights that drive key business decisions at Udemy. Success in this role requires a combination of business intuition, broad knowledge of statistical methods, practical data analysis experience, and strong communication and collaboration skills.
Data scientists on our team perform several highly critical functions:
- Serve as experts of our overall business trends when working with data scientists within the broader team
- Identify, scope, and execute on data-driven analyses to help guide executive level business decisions
- Present and discuss business trends to a broad audience of stakeholders and data peers
- Act as data evangelists to create a data-driven culture across the company
Here Are Some Questions You Could Be Working On:
- What metrics should the company be monitoring and goaling against?
- What are potential causes for changes in key business metrics?
- What learning actions differentiate our most engaged users from those who churn?
Here Is What You Will Be Doing:
- Collaborating with stakeholders to inform business direction
- Proactively influencing company-wide prioritization through data-driven insights
- Defining metrics and building dashboards to track product and business health
- Continuously improving the quality and accessibility of data
- Using the right tool (a scripted model, a dashboard, a presentation) for each analysis
- Providing technical mentorship to others
- Designing and analyzing standard experiments and conduct ad hoc analyses
- 3+ years of relevant experience in a combination of business/analytics roles (e.g. data science/analytics, management consulting, or business operations)
- Ability to communicate effectively with non-technical stakeholders
- Strong business intuition and judgement
- Expert level data storytelling and data visualization ability
- Expert SQL ability and proficiency with 1+ programming languages (e.g., R or Python)
- Experience with BI tools (e.g. Looker, Chartio, or Tableau)