Product Design Mechanical Engineer (Co-op)
Internship Verkada California - CA
- Leverage your prototyping skills & analytical abilities to generate mechanical solutions for a wide variety of product requirements relevant to enterprise hardware (mounting, sealing, environmental resistance, thermals, tamper resistance, etc).
- Join design reviews & brainstorms with ME and manufacturing team members who will mentor you along the way.
- Collaborate with our Electrical Engineering team to integrate PCBAs, sensors, interconnects, and other electro-mechanical elements into your designs.
- Collaborate with our Industrial Design team to explore, prototype & test new product concepts. Collaborate with ID to finalize product form & CMF.
- Work with mechanical vendors to dial in DFM/DFA, then quote & kick-off parts at prototype and production quantities. Assist with tooling release, bring up and validation for a broad variety of parts & processes.
- Assist in the development & execution of mechanical reliability test plans and various DoEs. Assist with failure analysis and root cause analysis; troubleshoot, iterate, and validate quickly.
- Work closely with our JDM and CM partners to steer your product concepts through validation builds (EVT, DVT, PVT) & into mass production.
- Pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering or a similar field; nearing graduation (winter 2022 - spring 2023).
- Available for an extended term (6-8 months).
- Experience with 3D CAD software.
- Experience getting hands-on with building & testing hardware.
- Strong understanding & intuition regarding strength of materials, thermodynamics, and manufacturing. We value both breadth and depth.
- Passion for designing aesthetically pleasing but easy to use hardware; always have an eye on how our customers will use our products.
- Startup Mindset: As a fast-growing startup, every day brings new challenges and opportunities for growth, and we want you to grow with us!
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
As a Product Design Mechanical Engineer Intern at Verkada, you’ll contribute to the design and development of new cameras, access control systems, sensors, and other enterprise IoT products. Verkada’s PD engineers own all aspects of the mechanical design from prototype through to mass production. You’ll make a big impact — your designs will be a part of future products that Verkada ships.