Software Engineer, Data Platform (Intern)
Internship Voltaiq Remote, California - CA
Location: Berkeley, CA / Remote US. Full-time.
“The battery is the technology of our time.” -The Economist
Voltaiq is a Battery Intelligence software company. Our data platform brings unprecedented analytics, visualization, and predictive capabilities to any company with a battery-powered business model. World-leading brands — including global automakers in Detroit and Germany, household-name tech giants, and decacorn startups — depend on Voltaiq software to accelerate product development, optimize performance, ensure safety and reliability, and unlock financial value in their products. Our high-powered team is composed of battery industry veterans, PhD scientists, a highly skilled product and engineering team, and an advisory board of C-level industry execs, all of whom are passionate about enabling the global energy transition.
At Voltaiq, we receive battery data from research labs, manufacturers, and deployed energy systems around the world. As Data Engineering Intern, you will help grow our backend data platform to handle these incoming data streams and serve data to internal and external consumers. You will help to develop scalable systems for data processing, storage, and access, while supporting the analytics and machine learning activities of our customers and data science team. You will learn how data is used in battery research and manufacturing, and in the systems of mobile devices, electric vehicles, and the power grid. If you love data, have an interest in expanding your ETL/ELT pipeline skill set, and learning about the battery industry, all while having a positive impact on how the world consumes energy, then this is the job for you.
- Help build, and test scalable data processing pipelines and ETL processes
- Help build, and test data access services and tools for analytics
- Write scripts to parse and transform battery data coming from databases, text files, and binary files, and write test cases.
- Understand the evolving needs of the customer-facing product and data science teams, and how these will be served by the data platform
- Provide visibility into the structure, state and performance of the data platform
- Understand to ensure data confidentiality, integrity, and availability for our customers
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree, preferably in Computer Science or a related field.
- You’re curious, excited by new technologies, and thrive in a fast-paced and high impact environment.
- Experience in Data Pipeline development - in college or outside.
- 6 months or more of working experience in Python .
- Experience working with SQL.
- Knowledge of Pandas.
- Desire to learn new technologies.
- Strong computer science fundamentals.
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Excellent communication skills.
Preferred Skills & Qualifications/ Bonuses: Experience with the following is preferred but not required
- Apache Spark
- Data modeling
- Object-Oriented and Functional programming concepts
- Unit testing and integration testing
- Development process and agile methodologies
- Exposure in designing, building, testing, and deploying ETL.
- Undergraduate or Graduate technical degree with a materials, electrical, mechanical, or electrochemical focus is a plus, but not a requirement.
Compensation & Benefits
Competitive salary plus equity and full benefits. Our office is located in Berkeley, CA.
Voltaiq is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to achieving a diverse workforce through application of its equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy, in all aspects of employment.