Software Engineer, Android
Full-time Clubhouse Remote, California - CA
Clubhouse is a new type of social product based on voice. It allows people everywhere to talk, tell stories, develop ideas, deepen friendships, and meet interesting new people around the world.
Our early users love the product and we have been featured in publications like The New York Times, Forbes, The Telegraph, TechCrunch, CNBC, and WIRED. Today, we are a small and productive team with a strong background in consumer products. We are well funded, with recent backing from top-tier VCs and many of the best angel investors from Silicon Valley and beyond.
As we open up Clubhouse to the whole world, we are seeking to add a few extraordinary people to our growing team. If you think you would be a good fit, please let us know!
As a member of the engineering team, you’ll work closely with our founders, product, design, and data teams to help us build incredible experiences for our Android users. During the pandemic, we are working remotely. This role will be open to both local and US-based, remote candidates. We will have an office in San Francisco when we are able to safely reopen our office for those who prefer to work in person.
- You’ll ship product. As part of the Clubhouse team, you will move fast. Whether it’s pushing a bug fix immediately after seeing it or architecting a bigger change that will help Clubhouse scale to millions of users, you’ll constantly be building and shipping. Along the way, you’ll write clean and efficient code, do unit tests, follow best practices, improve our infrastructure and tooling and have the benefit of working with others who share your enthusiasm.
- You’ll contribute in all areas. You might choose to go deep in one aspect of the product, but like your teammates you’ll make a habit of working across the stack, frequently picking up new languages and platforms as needed.
- You’ll grow and improve rapidly. At Clubhouse you’ll be working with an incredible team, who love to learn from and teach each other. You’ll find yourself stretching to new areas, immersed in feedback, challenged by your teammates, and growing your skills on a daily basis.
- You’ll shape the product strategy. You will get to use your own product (and talk with others while they are using it) every day, and have significant input into its development. Your ideas will always be heard.
- You’ll be an owner. We believe in hiring smart people and giving them as much responsibility as they can handle. Whether it’s leading our work on a new platform or single-handedly figuring out how to scale concurrent audio streams to reach millions of users, we’ll make sure you are always pushing yourself to new levels.
- You’ll create something meaningful. Social products allow people to connect in ways that were never before possible. When the telephone was invented, it suddenly allowed people to speak with others across the world. Thanks to FaceTime, grandparents everywhere can now watch their grandchildren grow up. At Clubhouse, you’ll be figuring out something entirely new for the world—a positive product that brings people’s voices together for deep and meaningful conversations, creates new relationships, builds empathy across cultures, entertains people, and helps people develop ideas that change the course of their lives.
- You are experienced. You have deep expertise building in the Android ecosystem and you understand the ins and outs of Android SDK, Kotlin, Java, client-side networking, Android tools and more. You have started your own projects, as well as built things that have scaled to a large number of users. While you love learning new technologies, this is not an area where you need to ramp up.
- You bias towards action. You like to build and ship—favoring practical choices and speed rather than being religious about any one technology. You focus on the things that matter and push back on things that don’t. You make deadlines for yourself and you move fast.
- You’re scrappy and entrepreneurial. You thrive in fast-paced environments and are comfortable with not knowing the answer to something. You value things like user testing, community-building, and operations. You are willing to roll up your sleeves no matter what the challenge is.
- You care about good product design. You have an eye for good design and pixel perfection. You like thinking about user psychology and sharing little-known products with your friends. You want to build experiences that users love and that make people’s lives more meaningful.
- You take pride in what you do. You care deeply about your work. If you have a spec, you read through the details and think about every edge case. You understand how to build observability to monitor performance and identify issues early. If something seems off, you come up with a good solution and fix it without being asked to do so. You’re proactive with suggestions and people know they can count on you to get things done.
- You enjoy working hard. You love what you do, think about it in your free time, and often find yourself building at strange hours—not because you feel you have to, but because you’re so excited to create something big for the world. Your favorite thing to do is to take on a huge challenge and pull it off.
- You care about doing the right thing. You value diversity and go out of your way to ensure others feel welcome. You enjoy hanging out with your teammates, are low-ego, and make the workplace more fun for everyone.
As an early team member at Clubhouse you will be a critical voice and have significant influence over the direction of the company. We will compensate you well, invest deeply in your development, and ensure this is the single best work experience of your life. If you think you might be a good fit for our team, we’d love to hear from you!