Data Engineer II
Full-time Expedia Group Washington - WA
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers.
Do you thrive in a flexible agile environment, passionate about innovation, continuous delivery, and automation? Are you passionate about learning and contributing to the designing and building high volume data solutions that would drive real time decision making for several Expedia Inc. stakeholders and partners? If yes, then this is the right opportunity for you!
At Expedia, our mission is to redefine travel through the way of data and technology. Collectively, Expedia brands cover virtually every aspect of research, planning, and booking travel - from choosing the best airplane seats to planning the best activities at destination. Each month, millions of customers trust Expedia to travel around the world, and we believe that this contributes to making the world a more open and better place.
You will be part of Data Products Engineering team which is under Data and AI Platform Systems organization within Expedia Group. The team is responsible for building robust data pipelines to house and transform different data products using domain-driven architecture and streaming techniques to process substantial amounts of data at scale and speed. These data products form an essential input into various systems across the company including Analysts reporting, CRM tools, and Machine Learning products. You will become an active contributor in the development on new Data Products, features, and end-to-end Support!
- Support Expedia Group’s product and business teams’ specific data needs on a global scale
- Develop quality scalable, tested, and reliable applications using industry standard methodologies
- Maintain close partnerships with internal partners from engineering, product, and business
- Commit to delivering tested and optimized high performance code for a distributed SOA environment
- Be part of an agile team that is continuously learning and improving
- Use real-time data to understand performance and ensure system scalability
- Containerize apps and services for cloud deployment
- Develop fast, scalable, and reliable property status software that includes real-time feedback loops for all of Expedia’s properties
- Simplify our core property status workflow to improve user experience
- Scale private and public API’s to enhance UI experiences for internal and external partners
- Take ownership of backend development building applications from concept to completion
- Build and maintain quality software using best-in-class tools: Git, Splunk, Datadog, New Relic, etc.
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
- Seek out opportunities to showcase your work on our tech blog and through internal & external conferences
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in Big data and distributed computing projects.
- Experience building data pipelines with data from event streams, on distributed data systems (AWS/Hadoop)
- Batch and/or stream processing experience using Spark, K-Streams, Kafka
- Experience building low-latency data product APIs
- Professional development experience in Java/Python/Scala
- Strong communication skills (able to explain concepts to business partners as well as peers)
- Self-starter who is highly organized, communicative, quick learner, and a strong teammate
- Nice to have knowledge or experience working in AWS environment and AWS Big data technologies like S3, Redshift, EMR, Elastic search, etc.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.